mardi 8 septembre 2020

School(s) and furniture

Back from England, we had to get our kids ready for school, and find a bit more furniture for our flat. We had the essentials, but were still basically living out of suitcases. If Marc had been given a fixed post, he would have been extremely busy preparing for that, but since he is a replacement teacher, he didn't have much information at all about what he would be doing (and still doesn't really!). He has of course been working generally on building up his knowledge of his subject and of the way that it is taught these days.

We got Eve signed up for school quite easily, as primary schools are run by the local town hall, which continues work over the summer. The secondary school is a bit more independent, and so we had to wait until the week of the 24th - the week before schools went back - before the boys could be signed up. Everything is basically done by catchment areas though, so there is no question of trying to choose schools - which made things a lot easier for us! We found lists online of the books and equipment the boys would need, so at least we could get started on that even before they were signed up.

Even five years ago with anti-terrorist measures the schools were a bit like forts, so now with Covid as well it is even more the case. I'm glad Eve is at the school the boys went to, because at least I have some idea of what things are like inside! Another plus has been that I still recognise some of the parents, so from the first day I was chatting with some of them at the gate - quite a contrast from five years ago when I knew no one!

The kids all had a good first week at school, and were looking forward to going back again this week. What more could we ask for?!

I had a struggle with buying secondhand furniture to start with. I went to a couple of places which sell secondhand furniture, and found tables and a two-person desk for the boys, which was good, and a friend with a bigger car helped me with transport. But the website which "everyone" uses just didn't seem to work for me. I finally realised that for some reason my messages don't work on there, and that I can only contact people if they leave their phone number. Having caught onto that, I have now managed to buy several chests of drawers, a couple of beds and a desk, and I'm still looking out for other things we need! I feel quite strongly that while it's worth buying a few things new as investments for the future, there is so much unwanted furniture out there that it is much better to save money and give these things a new home, rather than buying new and encouraging the consumerist society we live in!

First day at school:






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire