jeudi 18 juin 2015

Computers are complicated things...

I have been training my team to use the internet to send emails and exchange files via the central Paratext server (Paratext being our translation software package). I thought it was quite simple. The problem is that while doing it right is indeed relatively simple, the number of things that can go wrong if you miss a step in the instructions or click on the wrong thing is nearly infinite.

I also realise that for someone like me who has been using computers for over 30 years (and regularly for about 20 years), I have some idea about what to do if something goes wrong. Even that doesn't always get me out of the mess I've made - computers can be very unpredictable - but if all fails I shut everything down and start again. If you are relatively new to computers they are scary things, and if something goes wrong, there can be a tendency to freeze. Which definitely doesn't solve the problem!

We need lots of prayer for the year ahead in which efficient teamwork will be reliable on communication via the internet! (I will be phoning them from time to time, but there are drawbacks to the telephone as a means of communication too.)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire