vendredi 19 juin 2015

Also, computers are too clever!

Today I did a bit of revision with my team on using LibreOffice Writer (an equivalent of Word). They had made notes in an exercise book when they went out to test our translated texts in other Monkolé villages, and I wanted those notes safely copied into a computer file.

Philémon began the work, and I checked whether both translators remembered how to create a file and how to save it. They automatically changed the language setting to "Afrikaans" so that they could use our special phonetic alphabet with the font we need for Monkolé (called Charis SIL).

Philémon was continuing with the work, typing up the notes, while Pastor Samuel and I got on with other work. Suddenly he called me over and said, "I don't understand. How come whenever I type 'si' it changes it to 'is'?"

Oh, the joys of AutoCorrect! I found the menu for Afrikaans, and sure enough, if you type "si" it gets changed automatically to "is". I deleted it from the list, and made sure there weren't any other automatic corrections that were likely to be a bother for us.

But it made me realise yet again just how many unforeseeable difficulties could pop up while I'm away! Please pray for the team!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire